“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Saturday October 16th & Sunday October 17th 2010

Definitely feeling a little seedy after the weekend... Sunday night writing of my blog was not an option given that I was struggling to see when I stumbled in the door, I actually don't remember pressing the combination into my door...but I obviously managed! The weekend started off pretty quietly, I went for a really long walk around town on the Saturday, and bought an umbrella...given that we are heading into winter I thought this was a smart thing to have - it has it's own little bag and all! It cost me about 5,000 won which is around $3-4 Australian...so I really am the last of the big spenders! It was fun though to walk into the shop and conduct the whole purchase in Korean - I feel like I am starting to get somewhere with the language!

It's really strange wandering around town because everybody stares, at that point I still hadn't seen a single westerner - so I guess I stand out a bit! I had a bunch of school girls come up to me in the street and start a conversation - they weren't from my school, but I am guessing they have a native English teacher at their school as well so they just assumed I would be the same. You really would be in hot water if you looked like a westerner but didn't speak English! Then I decided to treat myself to MacDonalds...I hadn't had it since I got here and I do like to try it every tie I go to a different country because it always tastes different and there are different things on the menu - like the Shanghai Sizzling Chicken burger...which actually looks really good so I might have to try it!

It definitely tasted different though - the bread and buns etc over here are a lot more dry than they are at home - but still good! (This morning I would kill for some macca's fries...lol). When I was in MacDonalds I was approached by a Korean girl, who said she had many foreign friends and obviously wanted to practice her English, we talked for a while and then I made an excuse to leave - it wasnt that I didnt want to make friends - I was just really hungry and tired and I wanted to get home while my food was still hot! I did giver her my number - then when I got home I got a messge from her welcoming me to Korea...and then telling me that she would pray for me...didn't really know how to take that...did she think perhaps that I am morally in trouble?

After my little drinkies session last night she may be right! Anyway, my MacDonalds and I went home for an appointment with tvstreamz, which allows me to watch complete seasons of TV shows online - this was an exciting discovery for me! Especially since I pay $10 per month for unlimited internet download! It was really nice just to have a night to sack out and do nothing...It had been a really big week after all! I was messing around on facebook when I discovered a group called something along the lines of "Osan foreign teachers", very exciting, there is a whole community of people here and I had access to them! I read through the message boards etc and noticed a message from an Aussie guy who arrived the week before me - so I sent a message just to say hello, you know...Aussie unity overseas and all that!

I got a response almost right away and ended up catching up with him and an English girl on Sunday afternoon for a late lunch / dinner. We sat for hours talking, and eating, and things gradually disintegrated into drinking games with Soju...which I might not have again for a while. It tasted quite nice - but even thinking of it this morning is making my stomach churn a little...I am definitely out of practice when it comes to big nights! This morning when I had to get up early and come to school to finish my preparations for classes I remembered that it was a bad idea to drink on a Sunday night! But it was a fun night, lots of people ended up coming to join us, and I will actually know people on the trip to Seoul on Wednesday!

 So, I think it was about 9:30 when I realised that I had definitely had more than my fair share and that it was time to go home... I snuck off quite quietly, not wanting to get roped into another round of the drinking game that had put me in that state, and began the walk home. I was quite glad of the walk home in the end... think I must have been in a pretty bad state to feel the way I did when I got home, the walk is supposed to help, so I can only imagine how much worse I would have been had I not walked! The others apparently parted on until 5:40am this morning...completely mad when they had to teach today as well! I am very excited to have found the other "foreigners" though - it bodes well for future adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment