“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

Monday, November 15, 2010

Tueday November 16th 2010

So I have been really slack with my blog since I last posted... kept putting it off thinking that it would encourage me to finish my essays... which I guess it eventually did! As of this minute I have completed all the work and handed in everything I needed to do to finish my teaching degree! Another notch on the belt..woohoo!! Still have a while to go before I catch up to my Mum and my Uncle... not sure how many degrees they have between them but maybe I will go for a PhD and see if I can beat them to it! Either way it's a fantastic feeling! All the work is done!! Yay!! Now I can focus on all the other things I want to achieve...with no due dates! Last time I wrote was Sunday...I am doing my best to remember everything that has happened since then... Last Thursday was Pepero day, I wrote in the last blog about it, I have some picci's to add in - but they are still on my i-phone which I forgot to copy over to my computer so they will have to wait for now! It felt a little bit like a part the whole day - and the students bought pepero for me which as was so sweet! The whole day they were telling me I had to celebrate because it was pepero day... hehe - I haven't been to E-mart since but I am guessing it is all on sale now! Good time to stock up! Friday night we went to a restaurant in byeongjeom for Galbi, I think it was 14,000won for all you could eat, amazing! You sit on a cushion on the heated floor at a low table and then you get up to go over to what looks like a buffet cabinet full of raw meat, different cuts, and different marinades - you select your meat and then take it back to your table where you cook it over what looks like a mini BBQ in the middle of the table. I am also particularly partial to the onion salad that they serve with it... it's basically onions and some sort of vinegar sauce, but mixed with the meat, or by itself it is delicious! Needless to say after an all you can eat meal of such delicious food all I wanted to do after that was sleep! (which is pretty much what I did...10pm on a Friday night...oh how times have changed!) Saturday was also a very lazy day...first one in a while which was really nice! Spent the whole morning involved in deep and meaningful conversations about politics and religion...which is always fun! Then headed off to see if I could get the heels on my boots fixed...to much dancing and I have worn them down to the metal again...oops!
The shoe repair man was gone - guess I left it too late in the day - but we discovered this Budae jigae restaurant which was fantastic! A lot more variety in terms of the meat in it, thick hokkien noodles, and a few vegies... it's a worry how much I love it. The place was so good we went back for lunch on Sunday! After we had literally polished off the entire pot of Budae jigae we headed next door to "Roti Mum", which is a coffee shop that sells Roti - which I had never heard of before... The place was gorgeous, fairy lights looped around the tree out the front, tables out the front with heaters...and I had a maple latte which was to die for! We ordered an original and a chocolate Roti - I was hoping I was going to like it! They are like a bun, its a sweet bread that has a really mildly flavoured sweet custard inside... see the picture?! They may also become one of my favourite foods... Going to need to see if I can find somewhere that sells them in Osan! And the chocolate is the best...though I would happily eat the original as well...hehe. On Sunday we also went and bought a collar for Karel's kitten, Odya, he resisted rhinestones and bling, but eventually gave in on the collar... it's a girl kitten so it really needed to be pink! Got a lead as well in the hopes of possibly being able to teach the kitten to go for a walk...haha...you see stranger things in Korea...trust me! So after eating all weekend I decided that I really needed to start thinking about doing something to get me fit again... I figure I have a few choices, I can stop eating so much and do nothing, keep eating and enjoying myself and do some sort of exercise, or I can keep eating and enjoying myself and just come to terms with the fact that I will need to replace all my clothes when they stop fitting... Exercise it is! So last night I went on a little mission... to find running shoes and some track suit pants or something to run in that would give me a tiny bit of warmth... since it is freezing here and I would have to run either very early in the morning, when it's dark, or after school, when it's dark... Fortunately it's like another whole day starts at about 7pm here so there are people everywhere and the bright lights make it seem less dark and scary and like there are wolves after me... So I finished school a little late - I have been doing some extra study with one of my particularly bright and focused 1st graders - we were studying the poem the highwayman...she got really excited by the imagery after we went through some of the more complicated vocabulary and she started drawing...wow...I would kill to be bale to draw like that and she was doing a 5 minute sketch on a scrap of paper! When I eventually left the school I headed straight into Osan, past the main street to the outdoor market, and the strip that has loads of really cheap shops... hehe...like paradise... I wandered through and even though I was in search of two specific things I couldn't resist going into the hat shop! I greeted the lady who owned the shop - and even though she couldnt speak any english at all she quickly realised what I was looking for and the kinds of things I liked and started bringing different hats to me to try on... I ended up buying three which I know was a little excessive but I got a cream beanie which I just loved, a black beanie which I bought specifically for running and this kind of beanie thing with a little peak, in gray, cream and red...gorgeous! She gave me the price (on the calculator fortunately...I am getting there with numbers and money but it helps to see it!) and then she discounted it for me...I didn't even have to ask! Next I headed for the shoe shop, wondering how I was going to explain what I was after, thinking that motioning running would probably help me! Fortunately the guy in the shoe shop spoke English quite well, unfortunately the shoes I really liked they didn't have in my size, I may fit the clothes here and be built like a Korean woman - but my feet are huge compared to theirs! I still found a pair I liked, (pink, gray, and white...are you seeing a theme?) and they were only about $20 aussie dollars so I was fairly happy with that, they are very comfortable. I started heading back in the direction of my apartment still looking for tracksuit pants - bout a pair for about $5 - which I discovered when I got home are too short...lol. So may have o go on another expedition to get some later on...for the moment I can make do with what I have. Then I saw this scarf that I just had to have - a pale grey, soft, massive blanket scarf...mmm... I am wearing it now...hehe. Not to mention the little fluffy black ear muffs I found which I thought might come in handy given they were only a dollar! Called into one last shop to get a warmer pair of gloves (they have little bows on the wrist and are so cute!) and then with packages in hand I started on the long walk home. I was briefly accosted by a Brazilian dude, who I think was just really happy to see another foreigner, and after I managed to get away I stopped by a little roadside shop for some take-away dukboki... really didnt want to have to cook when I got home...and the whole massive container of it only costs $2 so its probably cheaper to eat out than to eat at home! Most importantly though I did actually go for a run after dinner! I am feeling very proud of myself about that! It wasn't a long one and I quickly realised just how unfit I was, bu it was immensely satisfying and I am looking forward to my next one! Anyway...I know this is short - and I have probably missed heaps - but at least I feel like I am mostly caught up now! And now that my study is done I should be able to keep this a little more up to date! Ciao for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment