“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

Thursday, July 21, 2011

We're off to South Africa! Cape Town here we come!

It's finally here! We have been counting down for at least the last 18 weeks and finally the day has arrived! I am finishing off my last day of Summer English Camp this morning and at mid-day I am officially on my way home to finish the packing process before we head off to the airport!
We are going half way across the world! Our first flight, approximately 11 hours, takes us from Seoul to Dubai where we have a four hour wait, followed by another 11 hour flight from Dubai to Cape Town. It's a loooooong way but I can say happily we are travelling with Emirates rather than South African Airlines so it should be a more pleasant experience!
The flight departs at 11:55pm so with buses etc we will be leaving our apartment much earlier than that....and we found out a while ago that my old co-teacher is on a flight that departs 5 minutes before ours so we will meet up with her for a coffee at the airport!
All that's left now is to finish today's classes....Today my students are working on their "Photo scavenger hunt" which is a brilliant ploy to get the students out of the classroom for a few hours! I have varied the list slightly from the one I ran over winter camp but the general idea is the same... I have included things like;
Take a photo of:

A team-mate in a display window as part of the display

10

You with the largest stuffed animal you can find

7

Video/ picture of the group singing in a store

10

Your group posing a scene from a Disney / Animated movie

9

Team playing air guitar

6

Something / someone that looks evil

6

Something out of place

8

A team member with someone giving them “bunny ears”

6

The teams get points for the photo's that they manage to successfully take - which tests their English comprehension skills - but also allows them to go a bit crazy, laugh a lot, and get some fresh air! The students have also promised to e-mail me the photo's they take so I can put them up...they should be hilarious so I am looking forward to that!
While the students have been out and about doing this I have been organising travel insurance, talking to mum, keeping up with facebook...and updating my blog!
I wanted to make sure my blog was really up to date before we left because I am going to be able to tick a few things off my bucket list when I come back and I am going to have a lot to write about!
Anyway! Best be off! Many things still to do!
Ciao for now!

3 comments:

  1. I am so excited for you! I know how long you have wanted to visit South Africa and so it really is a dream come true. I hope it is a truly memorable trip and you have a fantastic time. I'll be thinking about you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there! I stumbled across your blog as I was looking up information about teaching abroad. I have really enjoyed reading your posts and will continue to do so; you provide excellent insight into life and teaching in South Korea. I have recently begun the process to teach abroad, specifically South Korea, and I would really appreciate any advice, pointers, and anecdotes you could provide about your overall experience from applying to living it to the final wrap-up of things. I realize from this last post that you are still on the go but anything words of advice whenever you get a moment would be greatly appreciated! Please feel free to comment back on here or contact me via e-mail at kmuldoon@ramapo.edu Again, I must commend you on an amazing blog and wish you well! Thank you! Sincerely, Kate Muldoon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kate, thank you so much for your comment! I am frantically preparing for classes next week and trying to update my blog after all of my exciting adventures on holiday but I will certainly send you an e-mail - when are you heading out this way?

    ReplyDelete