“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Pet Ownership in Korea


I had been putting off getting a pet for years because I knew I was planning to travel and that it might be difficult to take a pet with me but when I got to Korea and decided I would be staying a while I gave in and bought the most adorable little Yorkie Puppy - pretty sure he is actually a teacup Yorkie because the Vet said he would only get to 3kgs. I named him Socrates because he was such a smart little thing, smart interspersed with crazy, but a delight to be around.

Once my Mum made the decision to come and work here as well getting a puppy was on the top of her list of priorities...I think seeing the video's and pictures of my lovely Socrates probably helped encourage her! Mum also got a Yorkie, a little girl, who she named Nini (pronounced like knee-knee).

Where we got the puppies from:

Socrates (Sokkies for short) came from a Vet in Osan (the town my school is in) and Nini ended up coming from the same place. I thought getting a puppy from a vet was a good idea, again I have heard some horror stories about puppy mills and that the ones you can buy at the train stations have a tendency to die, at least you know if you get them from a Vet they have had relatively good conditions. I also liked the people that worked at the Vet, they seemed super friendly, and they really loved the animals.

Hatchiko came from a pet store, also in Osan, but again the place was clean and the puppies were obviously well looked after... turns out he was also a fair bit cheaper than Sokkies and Nini...because everybody seems to want Yorkies!

Cost:

Remember the dogs are pure-breeds...so quite cheap compared to western countries.
Sokkies - 450,000 won
Nini - 630,000 won (she's a girl and can be bred from hence the cost jump.)
Hatchiko: 380,000 won

This doesn't, however take into account the cost of the vaccinations and de-sexing etc... that is a process that Nini and Hatchiko are still going through. To have Sokkies de-sexed cost me 170,000 won and then by the time they have had a gazillion vaccinations which includes conditions such as canine influenza, rabies, and "the brain disease" which I am still not 100% clear on! All of these shots are a good idea, first to protect the doggie, second because if you want to take them out of the country at any point then the vaccinations and paperwork are already done. All up I probably spent 400,000 won again on Vet bills.

Vets:

Sokkies and Nini went / go to the same Vet in Osan, Hatchiko goes to a vet in Byeongjeom which is closer to our house an the one thing I have to say about Vet's in Korea is... They are lovely! They make such an effort so speak English, translate things for you, and generally make sure you understand what is happening. The one in Byeongjeom actually has excellent English so it is a little easier for him! They also send you a text message the day before you have a scheduled visit to make sure that you don't forget and my Osan vet even sends me a message a day before I have to put the heart-worm stuff on Sokkies' neck. The Vet in Osan would also always remember both my name, the name of the dog...and then mum's name and the name of her dog too.

Clothing and accessories:

If you are anything like me this will probably be your biggest cost in the end! Clothing...e.g. jackets are a bit of a must for a tiny dog given how cold it gets here... it's an excuse but I am running with it! The vet's all sell clothing and all other possible bits and pieces that you could need, as do big department stores like Lotte Mart and E-Mart, there are pet stores spotted EVERYWHERE, but the best place to by the clothes is from the street vendors around the streets in Seoul or near the subway....sooooo much cheaper. Socks and boots are also easy to get...though I haven't tried those yet! People here are potty about their pets so you can really find anything you could ever imagine that you might need.

Because most people here also live in apartments things like "puppy pads" are easy to get. Basically they are a plastic tray, with a plastic lid full of tiny holes and on the inside you put an absorbent pad so that when the puppy does his or her business the liquid is absorbed and everything else is easy to pick up. We, unfortunately, are still at the toilet training stage so dealing with the occasional accident!

Below are the links to the video's I have been putting together of the adventures of our little puppies... starting with The adventures of Socrates, and then more recently, The adventures of Socrates Part 2!

The Adventures Of Socrates:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIM-LDFx7oM

The Adventures Of Socrates Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTW8lY-Kk7k

I had so much fun putting those video's together and I am so glad I bought a video camera to do so!

2 comments:

  1. Hi there!

    I know this blog post is a little old, but I just read it (and a few others) and I'm really enjoying reading about your experience! I'm interested in teaching in Korea and I want to bring my dog but I've heard it is hard to find schools/apartments that allow pets. Obviously, it doesn't seem like you had this problem so I was wondering if you went through a specific agency or how you got a good placement with a pet?

    Any info would be much appreciated!

    Thanks,
    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mel,

    I actually got my little Socrates when I was here - there was nothing in my contract about not having a pet and there was nothing in the school's agreement with my apartment that said I couldn't either so I just went ahead and got him. When I changed schools I told them I had a little dog and it wasn't a problem - because the schools do not tend to house us in fancy apartments they don't seem to be too worried about it. They do tend to be pretty flexible on that stuff because they understand that it can be difficult to be surround by such a different culture with no family...

    Be aware that if it is a big dog you may have trouble with it in the small apartments most teachers live in - if it is small to medium sized you should be fine - a friend of mine adopted a dog that was cocker spaniel sized and they get along pretty well.

    You will need to check into what paperwork you need to bring the pooch out here - if you're from the states, Canada or Australia it should be easy because these are countries with low incidence of rabies - otherwise you have to get a blood titter test done. Most countries now don't have quarantine provided you have all the paperwork in order - and remember you may need to get it translated into Korean. Google Pet Passports for more info because they are great!

    Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete